POA volunteers are people like you, who love animals. POA provides equal volunteering opportunity regardless of age, sex, color, race, creed, national origin, religious persuasion, marital status, sexual orientation, political belief or disability. All matters relating to volunteering are based on availability of a volunteer position and the ability to perform the job based on the requirements. If you are unable to work independently or have special requirements, please contact us so that we can try to accommodate your needs.
Volunteering takes many forms:
- Cat Rescue, Care, and Placement
- Our Cat shelter is located in East Hartford
- Dog Rescue, Care, and Placement
- We have two Dog shelter locations: East Hampton & Wethersfield
- Providing Foster Care
Please note that because of COVID-19, the number of volunteer opportunities may be limited for volunteer positions within the shelter.
Under the age of 18? You can still help in these ways:
- Fundraising! Organize a car wash, bake sale, garage sale, can or bottle drive, or another event to raise money for the animals in our shelter.
- Help Fill our Cupboard! Organize a pet food and/or a supply drive to collect much needed items for our cats and dogs. Click here for our Wish List!
We only accept shelter volunteers who are 18 or older -- no exceptions.
We do NOT accept:
- court ordered community service
- school project hours
- people under 18, even if accompanied by an adult
- less than a three month commitment