Protectors of Animals is run entirely by dedicated volunteers. There are plenty of opportunities to help! POA volunteers are people like you, who love animals. If you can donate your time, your help will be gladly appreciated! POA provides equal volunteering opportunity regardless of age, sex, color, race, creed, national origin, religious persuasion, marital status, sexual orientation, political belief or disability. All matters relating to volunteering are based on availability of a volunteer position and the ability to perform the job based on the requirements. If you are unable to work independently or have special requirements, please contact us so that we can try to accommodate your needs and work to make arrangements for a trained parent or guardian (someone who accepts legal responsibility) to work with you. Please read the Essential Volunteer Capabilities and then completer the Volunteer Application. For more information call us at 860-569-0722.
Volunteering takes many forms:
- Cat Rescue, Care and Placement
- Dog Rescue, Care and Placement
- Fundraising and grant writing
- Bringing animals to schools, community groups, and senior centers to talk about animal care and the importance of spaying and neutering
- Organization administration
- Providing Foster Care
- Younger than 18 can help by holding a tag sale, bake sale, school dance, car wash, etc.
Our greatest need is currently for Clean and Feed Volunteers for our cat shelter in East Hartford during the week. There are two shifts available: the morning shift which generally runs from 7 a.m. until 10 a.m. and the late afternoon/early evening shift which generally runs from 4:30 p.m. until 6:00 p.m. This is one of the most essential volunteer positions for our shelter as our cats depend on Clean and Feed volunteers to ensure they are fed, have clean cages and a clean shelter environment!
We only accept shelter volunteers who are 18 or older -- no exceptions.
We do NOT accept:
- court ordered community service
- school project hours
- people under 18, even if accompanied by an adult
- less than a six month commitment